Monday, October 25, 2010

God is in everything!

I'm very aware that there are many Christians who do their best to ignore Halloween, and I believe that is their prerogative.
I also remember what a fun time it was when I was a kid ... costumes, trick-or-treating, decorations... and safe!!
So I feel it's a personal choice for families whether or not they acknowledge October 31st as something to participate in.
I found this somewhere in the vast space that is the internet and thought it was worth sharing. I don't particularly think you need to cut the shapes they suggest but I do think the prayer is really nice for making it a positive activity.

Pumpkin Carving Prayer


This is a great way to put a little Christian in Halloween.

Dear God,

As I carve my pumpkin help me say this prayer:

Open my mind so I can learn about You;
(Cut the top of the pumpkin)

Take away all my sin and forgive me for the wrong things I do.
(Clean out the inside)

Open my eyes so Your love I will see;
(Cut the eyes out in heart shapes)

I'm so sorry for turning up my nose to all you've given me.
(Cut a nose in the shape of a cross)

Open my ears so your word I will hear.
(Cut the ears shaped like the Bible-rectangles)

Open my mouth so I can tell others You're near
(cut the mouth in the shape of a fish)

Let Your light shine in all I say and do! Amen.
(Place a candle inside and light it)


2 comments:

Daeon White said...

That rocks, just like Jesus does.

Unknown said...

Hi Kim and John,
I enjoy seeing the photos of your lives here. And this prayer is a nice and different way to think of carving a pumpkin. Thanks for sharing.

God bless.
Io