Thursday, January 10, 2013

Almost two years later....

Today as I sat... being still and just thinking of all I have to be thankful for, I began to pray... and when I allow myself the time my prayers lead from this to that to ....
I began to think of the 3/11/11 disaster that hit Japan. I still pray for all those touched by it. I hope you do, too. It's been close to two years now. There are so many still displaced with uncertain futures. I decided to try to get some current information on the hardest hit areas and their recovery. Sadly, there is almost nothing current concerning these areas and people in the news. I did run across this short article from Japan Today dated almost one month ago, so I thought I would share it here. I hope you'll take a few moments to read it and then to say a prayer. God bless you!

MIYAGI —
Police and Maritime Safety Agency personnel on Tuesday conducted another search for missing tsunami victims in Okawa, Ishinomaki in Miyagi Prefecture, which was one of the areas hardest hit by the tsunami on March 11, 2011.

Tuesday marks one year and nine months since the disaster. Searches for missing people are conducted in many hard-hit areas in the Tohoku region on the 11th day of each month at the request of families of missing.

In Ishinomaki, the Okawa elementary school was completely destroyed by the tsunami which killed 74 children and teachers. Thirty-eight people, including four children, remain missing, according to the National Police Agency. As of Nov 30, the NPA said that the death toll from the tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture stands at 10,402, while the number of people still reported as missing is 1,324.

Japan Today

No comments: